The village of Kotišina developed at the foot of the cliffs of Biokovo, here at the most elevated in its massif facing the sea. It is mentioned in a written document at the end of the Middle Ages, in 1434., but it was inhabited as early as the Bronze Age (2200-800 BC). It was then buried in stone tumuli on Zagon, the southern approach to the village. Remains of habitats have been observed in Bučevica and in a cave inside Veliki Kaštel. In it, archaeological research in 2018 confirmed the Bronze Age cultural layer. Rocky Double War (173 m / nm) and a lower position near the church of St. Andrew had the function of observatories of land and coastal communications during prehistory and late antiquity. Since that time, trails through Biokovo have been used as connections with villages in the inlands.
In Kotišina, residential and commercial buildings with external stairs have been preserved, authentic examples of traditional architecture at the foot of Biokovo. They were erected in 18th –19th century when the village, also called the suburbs of Makarska, had 600 inhabitants. In the middle of the 20th century, a monument to the victims of fascism was erected along the road.
CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN
On the elevated western approach to the village, church of St. Martin was erected in the 13th –14th century. The Romanesque style of the church with a semicircular apse reveals the construction much earlier than its first mention in 1627. The church was extended in the late 17th or early 18th century with the introduction of modest Baroque stylistic elements. Its restoration in 2019 was accompanied by archaeological excavations of graves inside and outside the church. They have proven the continuity of the cemetery next to the church since the Middle Ages. Next to the church is the Foot of St. Martin, European landmark of monuments dedicated to St. Martin, the Bishop of Tours.
CHURCH OF ST. ANTHONY
Church of St. Anthony above the centre of Kotišina is a harmonious neo-style construction from 1901-1903. During its renovation in 2019, archaeological excavations revealed the basic remains of an earlier church from the second half of the 17th century, and its additions from the 18th century.
The large castle along the cliffs of Biokovo is a multi-storey fortification adaptation of a cave and a raised building from the time of the Candian War (1645-1669). It was built by local forces under the supervision of Venice to unite the military and refugee role, a shelter for the population in the then conflict with the Ottomans. After the renovation and reconstruction of its interior in 2019, the exhibition and presentation centre under the management of the City Museum is located in the castle. To the west, within the crevice of the cliffs, the Little Castle was built in the 17th century.
BIRTH HOUSE OF FATHER PETAR PERICA
In the ambient centre of the old village, the birth house of the Kotišina born and descendant of the ancient Kačić tribe, Father Petar Perica, a Jesuit, poet and martyr (1881-1944), author of extremely popular songs, has been restored.